13-225 GIS Common Services Specialist
Alberta Energy Regulator
Calgary, Alberta, CA
|Date Posted||Nov 08, 2013|
|Experience Level(s)||Fully Qualified|
|Education Level(s)||University - Bachelors, College - Diploma|
Join the Alberta Energy Regulator Be In Great Company!
A career should fulfill many needs. While job security and financial reward are important, some careers, like the ones at the AER, can provide more than a living—they can provide meaning to life. Your reward can go beyond a job well done. It can go to the pride and recognition that you’re doing something that matters.
The Alberta Energy Regulator ensures the safe, efficient, orderly, and environmentally responsible development of hydrocarbon resources over their entire life cycle. For 75 years,Alberta’s oil and gas regulator has adapted to meet innovations in technology, new industry activity, and changing social expectations. The Alberta Energy Regulator builds on this foundation and prepares the province to take on the next era in energy regulation.
We are seeking highly skilled, diverse team members with strong technical skills to join us in this exciting journey. Be everything you want to be, by helping us build a legacy of excellence Albertans can count on.
REPORTS TO: Practice Lead – Spatial Data Services
DESCRIPTION OF BRANCH/GROUP/SECTION
Technology Support and Infrastructure (TSI) group provisions and services Information Technology infrastructure for AER staff located in Calgary and 12 offices throughout the Province of Alberta.
The GIS Services team guides and manages the use of geospatial information systems (GIS) technology for the spatial analysis, visualization and integration of AER data and information. The team supports GIS technology for the AER enterprise-wide, providing software to spatially enable business processes and solutions, such as creating and maintaining pipeline, well and facilities data and information, specialized maps.
PURPOSE OF ROLE:
The AER is embarking upon a substantial technology renewal process which will rely heavily on the evolution and sustainment of our enterprise GIS environment including technology, data and client services. Software development is conducted using Microsoft .NET and ESRI ArcGIS spatial technologies. Our Enterprise GIS environment is currently centered on ArcGIS 9.2/9.3, ArcGIS for Server 10.1 and Geodatabases using ArcSDE with SQL Server, with increased focus on ArcGIS Server and web GIS applications developed in the Geocortex Essentials Technology.
This role will support our AER GIS Service Centre by providing “Common GIS Services” including creation or delivery of both foundational and custom data, maps, training and information services that may be required across the organization that is not specific to a particular line of business. In general, key aspects of the role are to work with the GIS Services team, I.S., business and corporate personnel to review and analyze the service requirements, size and estimate effort, provide recommendations for the end product and perform the GIS mapping and spatial data services as required.
Responsibilities will include:
- Apply knowledge of workflows, processes and business knowledge related to the Oil & Gas industry and in particular a regulatory environment
- Handle multiple tasks simultaneously and be able to prioritize, develop, or deliver products and services in committed timeframes
- Assist with GIS business and technical analysis with SME experts from IT and the Business
- Design and develop GIS maps, data or services as required.
- Explain and present technical topics to technical/non-technical and/or GIS/non-GIS users.
- Providing guidance and support to department business units in recommending GIS applications and solutions.
- Assist with analysis and development activities using the AER GIS technology stack including .NET, Java and Python.
- Provide training on GIS technology, applications and workflows to AER clients and staff
- Create and/or manage GIS related documentation for manuals, help files, correspondence and related to application requirements, analysis design and development
The successful candidate must have:
- Solid understanding of GIS concepts, theory, principles, methodologies and analytical processes with the ArcGIS suite of products.
- Solid understanding of Computer and IT concepts, theory, principles, methodologies and analytical processes and modern development languages.
- Solid understanding of energy and resource industry solutions
- Senior-level experience in developing solutions in a multi-tier distributed systems environment based on a service-oriented architecture.
- Solid experience in developing solutions using APIs.
- Strong understanding and practical experience in developing desktop and web applications using Visual Studio.NET.
- Strong people skills in both group and individual contexts, and strong client expectation management skills are essential to this role.
- Strong communication and presentation skills
We are looking for individuals with the following qualifications:
- A bachelor’s degree in computer science and GIS or related areas with a minimum of 7 years related progressive experience, or Computer Technology diploma with a minimum of 10 years related progressive experience
- At least 7 years’ experience in enterprise-scale, multi-tiered, object-oriented application design and development on both windows and web platforms, preferably using Microsoft Visual Studio.NET.
- Experience with software design patterns and methodologies.
- 4 years proven practical recent experience in database application development with MS SQL Server and experience with ArcSDE databases.
- Experience in the Oil & Gas industry is required.
- Experience creating maps and services using GIS technology is required
- Experience with ArcGIS software is required.
- Experience with Geocortex Essentials is desirable.
- Experience with FME Desktop is desirable
- Experience with an iterative software development lifecycle.
- Experience with software testing tools.
- Familiarity with network, active directory and application security.
- Excellent communication, business analysis, analytical and problem solving skills;
- The ability to work both independently and in a team environment;
- The ability to deliver under tight timelines;
- The ability to adapt to changing business requirements;
- The ability to deliver according to project plan; and,
- The ability to perform GIS related training, documentation and training services
|Applications are being accepted until June 30, 2014
< < Back